Whether you want a VPN to access to geo-blocked content or streaming services, protect your privacy or keep you secure on public wifi there is a bewildering choice of services to choose from.
A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, offers a number of advantages. For a start, it encrypts your internet traffic, protecting you and your data from prying eyes.
Another benefit is that by connecting to a server in a different country, you can use a VPN to unblock geo-restricted websites and services such as accessing Netflix content not available in your home country, BBC iPlayer and many more streaming services in addition to New Zealand TV channels from abroad. This makes VPNs particularly useful for streaming while on vacation or accessing blocked international content from home.
You can find more detailed reviews of the best VPNs for New Zealand further below. However, here’s a quick summary in case you’re in a hurry:
These are the 7 best VPNs for New Zealand:
- ExpressVPN: The best New Zealand VPN. Fast servers and unblocks Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Strong security with encryption. 24/7 live chat support.
- NordVPN: Best budget option. Dozens of servers in New Zealand. Over 5,500 servers worldwide. Security includes a strict no-logs policy and Double VPN servers.
- CyberGhost: Servers in 90 countries, New Zealand included. Impressive speeds for streaming. No-logs VPN service that allows up to seven simultaneous connections.
- IPVanish: Good speeds for streaming New Zealand TV. Secure up to 10 devices at once. 24/7 support included. Encryption and no-logs policy protects your privacy.
- PrivateVPN: Fast servers in New Zealand. Good at unblocking popular streaming services including Netflix. Very user-friendly desktop and mobile apps. No-logs policy.
- Surfshark: Unlimited simultaneous connections per account. Excellent unblocking ability and unlimited bandwidth. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support and strong security.
- Hotspot Shield: Vast server network includes servers in New Zealand. Easy-to-use apps and 24/7 support via live chat. Security includes encryption and kill switch.
There are plenty of VPNs that offer servers in New Zealand but some simply aren’t worth your time or money. We’ve identified the best VPNs for New Zealand by ensuring they meet the following key criteria:
- High-speed servers in New Zealand
- Strong security with encryption
- Operates a strict no-logs policy
- Beginner-friendly apps for desktop and mobile
- Live chat and email support
- Money-back guarantee so you can try risk-free
Best VPNs for New Zealand
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for New Zealand:
ExpressVPN has servers in 94 countries, including New Zealand. As such, this is a great choice for unblocking region-locked websites and services around the world. With unlimited bandwidth and high speeds, it allows for uninterrupted streaming in 1080p HD. ExpressVPN can be used to unblock stubborn services like Netflix and BBC iPlayer. With a single account, you’ll be able to secure up to five devices at once.
You can browse the web with your privacy intact thanks to ExpressVPN’s 256-bit AES encryption. It’s also worth knowing that you’re protected from DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks while connected. There’s also a kill switch feature, plus you’ll be glad to hear that this VPN doesn’t log any personally identifiable data of its users. Should you have any questions, ExpressVPN offers excellent customer support which is available 24/7 via live chat and email.
ExpressVPN has beginner-friendly apps for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and Linux. Customer router firmware is also available, as are Chrome and Firefox browser extensions.
- Servers in 94 countries, including New Zealand
- Fast, consistent connections for browsing and streaming
- Unblocks popular streaming services including Netflix
- Offers live chat and email support, 24/7
- Keeps your data secure with high-end encryption
- Very user-friendly apps and browser extensions
- One of the more expensive VPNs on the market
BEST VPN FOR NEW ZEALAND:ExpressVPN is our top pick. Fast speeds for stress-free browsing, streaming, and torrenting. Use on up to five devices at once. Excellent, user-friendly apps and 24/7 support. Powerful encryption. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN has one of the largest server networks of any VPN, with over 5,500 servers in total. When it comes to New Zealand, 40 servers are available, some of which are optimized for P2P traffic. There are no bandwidth limits which means you can stream without having to worry about lag or buffering. Overall, this VPN has very good unblocking ability, allowing you to use platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer abroad.
One of NordVPN’s best features is its 24/7 customer support which is available via live chat and email. This makes it easy to troubleshoot any issues you might have. A no-logs VPN, it uses 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch to secure your data. You can even connect to Double VPN and Onion Over VPN servers which add another layer of security, enhancing your privacy even further when browsing.
You can download NordVPN apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Android TV. Browser extensions are also available for Chrome and Firefox. Manual setup is required for use with routers.
- Dozens of servers in New Zealand for easy unblocking
- Works with Netflix as well as Amazon Prime Video
- 24/7 live chat support available
- Operates a strict no-logs policy to protect your online privacy
- Specialty servers including those optimized for P2P activities
- Suffered a data breach in 2018
BEST BUDGET VPN:NordVPN has plenty of servers in New Zealand and 5,500 globally. Unlimited bandwidth for uninterrupted streaming. 24/7 live chat support and P2P-friendly servers. Security includes a strict no-logs policy and encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost is a high-speed service with an impressive network of servers. There are some 6,000 servers in total in 90 countries, including some in Auckland, New Zealand. This VPN offers unlimited bandwidth and speeds which means you can use it to browse, stream, and torrent without restriction. Notably, CyberGhost lets you secure as many as seven devices at once via a single account.
One of CyberGhost’s best features is its strong focus on security. Your data is secured with 256-bit AES encryption and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Further security features include an automatic kill switch and an ad blocker. Just as important, it has a strict no-logs policy and states that it doesn’t know what you do online after you connect to its servers. Last but not least, CyberGhost includes 24/7 support which is available via live chat.
Signing up with CyberGhost means you can access the apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, and Android TV. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox. Manual configuration is required for use with routers.
- High-speed servers in New Zealand
- Network of 6,000 servers in 90 countries
- Connect up to seven devices simultaneously
- Very strong security with encryption and strict no-logs policy
- 24/7 live and email chat support
- Doesn’t work in China or UAE
- No app for routers
HIGHLY SECURE:CyberGhost offers high-speed servers in 90 countries, including New Zealand. Use on up to seven devices at once. Beginner-friendly apps and browser extensions and 24/7 support. No-logs VPN with adblocker feature. 45-day money-back guarantee.
IPVanish is a particularly good choice if you have many devices to secure. That’s because it allows up to 10 simultaneous connections per account. Servers are available in dozens of countries, including New Zealand. Overall, it offers good speeds which makes for stress-free browsing and streaming. When it comes to streaming, you can use IPVanish to unblock the likes of Netflix US.
IPVanish apps are easy to use while 24/7 support is also available if you do have any issues. You can use IPVanish safe in the knowledge that your privacy is protected thanks to various security features like 256-bit AES encryption and DNS leak protection. If the VPN connection drops, a kill switch cuts your internet traffic and prevents your data from being exposed. Most importantly, IPVanish follows a true zero-logs policy.
- Servers in dozens of countries, including New Zealand
- Good speeds for uninterrupted browsing and streaming
- Connect as many as 10 devices simultaneously
- Includes 24/7 support via live chat
- No-logs VPN with encryption
- Relatively short money-back guarantee of just 7 days
- Doesn’t offer any browser extensions
CONNECT 10 DEVICES:IPVanish is fast and unblocks Netflix US. Servers in dozens of countries including New Zealand. Can be used on 10 devices simultaneously. Keeps your data secure with a no-logs policy and encryption. Live chat support. 7-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN focuses on quality rather than quantity. Although there are only approximately 150 servers, these are spread across 60 countries including New Zealand. On the plus side, its servers are generally very fast. Indeed, unlimited bandwidth and speed means you’re unlikely to encounter issues such as buffering or lag when streaming. PrivateVPN unblocks Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and more.
You can use PrivateVPN on up to six devices simultaneously. The apps are very user-friendly with both simple and advanced menus on offer. Should you need it, live chat support is available, as is remote help and installation. Notably, you’ll speak with the developers directly, rather than a third-party customer support representative. With 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and kill switch, PrivateVPN is an excellent choice for security-conscious users.
PrivateVPN apps are available for the following operating systems: Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. Manual installation is needed in the case of Linux and routers.
- Very fast servers in New Zealand
- Unblocks Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO, and more
- User-friendly desktop and mobile apps
- Connect up to six devices simultaneously
- Uses the highest level of encryption for your security
- Very small network of just 100 servers
- Live chat support isn’t available 24/7
HIGH-SPEED SERVERS:PrivateVPN has particularly fast servers in New Zealand for streaming and torrenting. Good at unblocking streaming services such as Netflix. Very easy to use and offers live chat support. Secure with encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark offers an easy way to get a New Zealand IP address thanks to the very beginner-friendly apps. It offers access to over 1,000 servers in total, many of which are optimized for P2P activities. Surfshark excels when it comes to unblocking geo-restricted content. In particular, you can use it to watch Netflix from anywhere, and with solid speeds, you’ll be able to watch in the highest possible quality. Better still, you can connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously.
If this is your first time using a VPN, you’ll appreciate Surfshark’s 24/7 live chat and email support. Another advantage of using this particular service is the sheer variety of security features. Aside from 256-bit AES encryption and protection from DNS leaks, you’ll find a kill switch and MultiHop (Double VPN) servers. This VPN operates a strict no-logs policy which means it doesn’t collect any details such as your IP address or browsing history.
You can secure your devices via the Surfshark apps for desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux), mobile (Android and iOS), and Amazon Fire TV. There’s also the option to download Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. Routers can be configured manually.
- Very good at unblocking content from New Zealand and worldwide
- Lets you connect as many devices as you want at once
- Highly secure with Double VPN servers and a strict no-logs policy
- Customer support is available 24/7 via live chat
- Relatively small network of approximately 1,000 servers
- Email support could be a little faster
UNLIMITED DEVICES:Surfshark is ideal for sharing with family as it allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Reliable servers in New Zealand and user-friendly apps. No-logs VPN with 24/7 live chat support and specialty servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Hotspot Shield provides plenty of choice when it comes to servers for unblocking region-locked content. Its network of more than 3,000 servers covers 80 countries, including New Zealand. Overall, it offers good speeds as well as unlimited bandwidth for streaming Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and TVNZ. If you’re looking to secure multiple devices, it’s worth knowing that Hotspot Shield lets you connect up to five devices at once.
Although the apps are easy to use, Hotspot Shield offers excellent customer support. This is available to you 24/7 via live chat. Hotspot Shield uses 256-bit AES encryption, securing your data from hackers, ISPs, and even governments. There’s also DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and the ability to connect automatically whenever you use public wifi networks. Furthermore, this VPN doesn’t keep identifying logs of users.
You can use Hotspot Shield via the apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, routers, and a browser extension for Chrome. No support is offered for use with Linux.
- Network of 3,000 servers in 80 countries, including New Zealand
- Unblocks Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and TVNZ
- 24/7 live chat support available
- Comprehensive security package that keeps you safe online
- Doesn’t offer an app for Linux
- Some privacy issues in the past
SERVERS IN 80 COUNTRIES:Hotspot Shield lets you unblock geo-restricted content in 80 countries, New Zealand included. Servers are fast and reliable. Live chat support is available 24/7. Protects your privacy with high-end encryption. 45-day money-back guarantee.
How to get a New Zealand IP address
Not sure how to go about getting a New Zealand IP address? Below we’ll take you through the processing of using a VPN, step-by-step.
Here’s how to get a New Zealand IP address with a VPN:
- First off, sign up with one of the VPNs listed above. We particularly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Next, download the VPN software, making sure you’re installing the correct version for your device.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in New Zealand. This is how you get a New Zealand IP address.
- You can now unblock geo-restricted content from New Zealand, even if you’re located abroad.
- If you’re finding websites and services are still blocked, try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies.
Why do I need a VPN in New Zealand?
The good news is that internet users in New Zealand do not suffer from serious online censorship. Freedom House rated New Zealand 98/100 in its Freedom in the World 2019 annual report. It’s worth noting that the New Zealand government runs the Digital Child Exploitation Filtering System. This prevents Internet users in New Zealand from accessing certain objectionable online content. However, critics of the DCEFS have expressed concerns regarding performance, transparency, and security.
If you’re traveling in New Zealand, chances are you’d want to use a VPN to unblock geo-restricted websites and services from your home country. For example, connecting to a US server for a US IP address lets you watch Netflix, HBO, Hulu, and more. Despite the high level of online freedom in New Zealand, you may still want to secure your data from prying eyes. Using a VPN in New Zealand allows you to protect your online privacy and anonymity.
Can I use a free VPN for New Zealand?
There are a number of reasons why it’s not a good idea to use a free VPN at any time. For starters, very few free VPNs even offer servers in New Zealand. Those that do tend to have a limited number of servers, all of which suffer from heavy user load. Furthermore, some free VPNs are known to throttle your bandwidth so this makes streaming and torrenting particularly challenging (and frustrating!).
You’ll also find most free VPNs to be particularly poor at unblocking streaming services that have implemented anti-VPN measures. This includes the likes of Netflix, DAZN, and Disney+. Free VPNs are also lacking in features. While you may be able to go without multiple simultaneous connections or live chat support, some security features are too important to miss. Unlike free VPNs, the best VPNs for New Zealand use 256-bit AES encryption and a strict no-logs policy to secure your data and protect your privacy.
Watching New Zealand TV abroad
If you’re outside New Zealand and trying to watch New Zealand TV, chances are it’s unavailable due to geographic restrictions. If you want to be able to watch New Zealand TV abroad, a VPN is the answer. All you need to do is connect to a server in New Zealand and you’ll be assigned a new, temporary New Zealand IP address. This lets you unblock the following New Zealand TV from anywhere:
- TVNZ 1
- TVNZ 2
- Māori Television
- Spark Sport
- Sky Sport